The fourth VR Days Europe, held in Amsterdam last month, was the most successful to date, with attendance up 10% on last year.
VR Days Europe is the region’s leading conference and exhibition celebrating virtual, augmented and mixed reality (XR) business innovation and creativity. The event is produced in collaboration with Integrated Systems Events, the organisers of the Integrated Systems Europe exhibition.
“The fourth edition of VR Days Europe was another step towards a true industry event where realities really meet,” noted Benjamin de Wit, Founder of VR Days Europe.
“Researchers, artists, developers, corporates and the VR and AR community came together to get inspired, create new content, listen to great speakers, get together at roundtables and network events, forge new partnerships and do business.”
One of three Summits focussed on the use of XR technologies in the world of media, arts and entertainment. Sessions explored the future of storytelling and design in XR, and the use of XR technology in museums.
Attendees also got the chance to immerse themselves in a variety of cutting-edge VR experiences.
With investment in new ventures up for grabs, seven location-based entertainment startups battled it out in an LBE Pitch Fight. The entrants had just 60 seconds to persuade a panel to back them. The winner was Incarna from France.
“Every year, we see VR Days draw the world’s leading creative developers and solutions providers to Amsterdam,” added Mike Blackman, Managing Director of Integrated Systems Events. “They provide real insight into the XR market of today and tomorrow and the impact it is having on vertical market sectors, including those serviced by the AV industry. It remains an exciting sector to be involved with.”
Halo Awards winners
Other highlights included the Halo Awards, which recognise outstanding creative and innovative work in AV, VR and mixed reality projects. Winners were:
- Gold: ‘Dinner Party’ by RYOT
- Silver: ‘Klimt’s Magic Garden’ by Filmbäckerei
- Bronze: ‘Anne Frank House VR’ by Force Field Entertainment
- Gold: ‘Beat Saber’ by Beat Games
- Silver: ‘Arizona Sunshine – LB VR Edition’ by Vertigo Games
- Bronze: ‘Anshar Online’ by OZWE Games
- Gold: ‘Alien Zoo’ by Dreamscape Immersive
- Silver: ‘Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets’ by Europa-Park, Mack Media, VR Coaster, EuropaCorp and Holodeck VR
- Bronze: ‘PolygonVR’ by Neurogaming
- Gold: ‘Anne Frank House VR’ by Force Field Entertainment
- Silver: ‘Borderline’ by Assaf Machnes
- Bronze: ‘The Last Chair’ by Pieter van Huystee Films
- Gold: ‘Tunnel AR’ by headraft
- Silver: ‘Tussock Jumper Wines’ by AR4REAL and Doruk Eker
- Bronze: ‘AH Tech’ by &samhoud media and &ranj